Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cloverfield


I (finally) saw Cloverfield. And I loved it.

The entire film, in case you don't know, is shot on handheld camera. And it has been reported that the constant moving and shaking gave some viewers motion sickness. Personally, I did feel a little nauseous at first, but I felt fine as soon as I threw up.

OK, listen. If you have not seen the film, do not read any further. I'm about to get all sorts of spoily.

Ready for the spoilers? Let's go....


Some friends were discussing the film in front of me a few weeks ago and, like the whiny film-bitch that I am, I started going, "Bah! Bah! Bah! I haven't seen it yet! Don't blow it for me!"

They did not blow it for me. But what Friend 1 did say (to Friend 2) was, "Did you hear about the thing? That you can see..." At this point, Friend 1 mouthed something inaudible. Friend 2 said, "Yes. I missed that. I totally want to go see it again just to see that."

I was armed with this information as I saw the film. That is to say, throughout the experience, and particularly at the very end, my eyes were PEELED to catch anything that might come my way.

Splash!

So, if you have seen the movie, you know what I am talking about, and you are wondering, "Is it true?" Yes, it is. In the final scene, when you see Rob and Beth on the ferris wheel at Coney Island, just before it cuts to them, you see something splash into the ocean, way off in the distance. It is very, very small and faint. So much so, that when I got home I immediately got online to confirm that what I saw (the tiny, distant splash) was what people were talking about.

Turns out a lot of people are talking. And, quite helpfully, some of them offer proof. Like this guy on YouTube (thanks, dude)...

No comments: